10/10/10 Global Day of Action350.org’s 10/10/10 Global Day of Action challenged our elected officials to “Get to Work” on strong climate and clean energy solutions, as well as convey the message of demanding strong action at the international talks in Cancun. As a partner in this action, 1Sky helped organize 35 events in the United States and had supporters at 126 events in 39 states and Washington, DC. Photos from these events were then delivered to members of Congress from those states.
- Selected press: Carbon-Cutting 'Party' Set for Sunday – The New York Times Green blog; Environmental groups to hold worldwide ‘Climate Work Party’ this Sunday – The Florida Independent; Environmental groups to hold worldwide ‘Climate Work Party’ this Sunday – The Florida Independent; Oregon's Energy Future: Moving beyond Boardman – OregonLive.com
- Blog posts: 10/10/10 Story: SACE'S Global Work Parties in Florida (VIDEO); Weekly roundup 10/15/10: More pics and stories from 10/10/10 (VIDEO, PICS)
- Photos: 10/10/10 Global Work Party Flickr collection
The Dirty Energy HuntDuring “The Dirty Energy Hunt,” over 350 1Sky supporters arranged individual and group photos at local coal-fired power plants, oil refineries, gas stations, and other industrial facilities to speak out against our dependence on dirty fossil energy. These photos were used to increase awareness to generate the political will necessary to stand up to attacks on the Clean Air Act and transition America to a clean energy economy.
- Blog post: Dirty Energy Hunt: Your impact on Capitol Hill
- Photos: Dirty Energy Hunt & Dirty Energy Hunt pt. 2
The StormsThe Storms featured hundreds of climate activists standing up to demonstrate nationwide support for defending the Clean Air Act from congressional attacks. From mid-March through Earth Day, volunteers worked with 1Sky organizers to visit their senators and representatives in large groups and make it known that the Clean Air Act is too important to be gutted on behalf of big polluter interests.
- Selected press: Green Groups Fight to Keep EPA's Power Over Greenhouse Gas Emissions – The New York Times
- Blog posts: www.1Sky.org/StormBlogs
- Photos: "The Storm" comes to US senator and reps' offices
- Video: 1Sky supporters defend the Clean Air Act
Presidents Day 2010During the Presidents Day recess February 2010, 1Sky supporters and organizers didn't take let their elected officials take a break from thinking about climate change issues. Activists showed up at town halls and held press conferences to confront Washington leaders on congressional attacks on the Clean Air Act and the lack of movement on a climate bill.
- Selected press: Clean-Energy Advocates Invoke Muskie to Fight GOP Resolution, Maine Veterans Say National Security at Risk with Climate Change - The Portland Daily Sun
- Blog posts: Raising our voices during the Presidents Day recess, Sen. Levin answers my question on climate legislation
- Photos: Presidents Day 2010 actions
Make Art for ClimateClimate change activists can often be at their best when they let their creativity lead the way. In November 2009, during the Make Art for Climate action, 1Sky supporters did just that over 200 gatherings, creating banners and signs urging President Obama to lead at the COP15 climate negotiations in Copenhagen. Many of these were featured in a White House rally, then delivered right to their senators.
- Selected press: Obama to join climate summit on its final day
- Blog posts: 1Sky's Make-Art-For-Climate project
- Photos: Banners from Make Art for Climate (all action photos here)
October 24th International Day of ActionThe October 24th International Day of Climate Action, organized by our allies at 350.org, brought the climate movement together like never before. 1Sky organizers and volunteers were a big part of this, taking the lead in over 200 nationwide events. Alongside thousands more in the U.S. and worldwide, these events showed just how widespread and powerful support for climate action is.
- Press release: 1Sky Mobilizes Thousands Nationwide to Take PArt in Largest International Display of Action on Climate Crisis in History
- Blog posts: Recapping DC's International Day of Climate Action event, Bike rides and rallies for 350 in Boulder, CO
- Photos: 1Sky supporters celebrate 350 Day nationwide, 1Sky at the Washington, DC Oct 24 International Day of Action