More Than 1,000 Small Business Leaders Release Letter to U.S. Senate Advocating For Clean Energy Jobs Bill
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Legislation has potential to create millions of new jobs, business leaders say
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 26, 2009
Contact: Alex Posorske (301) 270-4550 x230; email@example.com
Takoma Park, MD -- Today, 1Sky announced that more than 1,000 small business and community leaders are calling on the U.S. Senate to support a strong and comprehensive clean energy jobs bill this fall.
“A clean energy jobs bill will ensure that American businesses stay competitive with the rest of the world,” said Hunter Lovins of Natural Capitalism, Inc., based in Longmont, Colorado, which counsels clients around the world on 'greening' their business while improving their bottom line.
“It is very important that Congress understands the connection between clean energy investments and domestic jobs,” Lovins said.
A 2009 study by the Political Economy Research Institute at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, in partnership with the Center for American Progress, estimates that at least 1.7 million jobs could be created with an investment of $150 billion in domestic clean energy.
“Business leaders throughout America know that it makes good fiscal sense to confront the looming economic disaster of the effects of climate change and, at the same time, take advantage of the huge economic opportunities offered in the field of renewable energy jobs,” said Stephanie Jones, with Electric Transportation of Arkansas (ETA), in Little Rock, Ark., which sells electric and solar vehicles.
The letter notes that to be truly effective, a clean energy jobs bill must make the right kind of investments to expand employment opportunities, take serious steps toward cutting global warming air pollution as soon as possible, and transition America away from dirty fuels like coal.
The full letter, which will be delivered to Senate offices this week, is available with this release and at www.1sky.org. For a comprehensive list of letter signers, please contact Alex Posorske at 1Sky.
Text of the letter:
We write to you as business owners and concerned citizens throughout our nation who know that it is time for the U.S. Senate to take comprehensive action to produce clean energy jobs legislation. We cannot afford to continue to be driven by special interests preventing progress on clean energy jobs legislation in Congress, and reflexively saying “no” to anything that smacks of progress towards a competitive clean energy future for American business.
We are large, small and medium sized companies, spanning the spectrum from industry to retail and commerce. We represent the business core of Main Street in America. We understand the need to put our economy on track, creating millions of new jobs with the most efficient, responsible, and sustainable approach. We understand the need to stay competitive in the global economy. We understand the need to create an economy today that will keep America a world leader for many tomorrows to come.
And we understand that to do so, American must transform our energy infrastructure and move to a low-carbon, clean energy economy. Therefore, we stand together with business leaders across the state and across America calling on our senators to do what is best for our country and for thousands of business owners.
We say yes to a new direction for our country, and we urge you to support legislation that:
- Expands Clean Energy Jobs for America: maximize the number of allowances used to create clean energy jobs and train workers to fill them. Establish strong and effective renewable electricity and energy efficiency resource standards that allow us to pivot away from dirty fuels and add more clean energy jobs to the U.S. economy.
- Takes serious steps towards cutting global warming air pollution as soon as possible: cut carbon emissions at least 20 percent by 2020. A slow start over the next decade will mean a much heavier price tag later on, not to mention less chance of a binding global treaty and more severe economic and climate impacts in every state in our country.
- Transitions us away from the dirty fuels of the past and towards the clean energy of the future: end the construction of new dirty coal plants and ensure that the oldest, dirtiest coal plants must reduce their global warming pollution.
Being on the front lines of this economic crisis, we ask that you join with the majority of Americans who know that the time for action is now on effective, comprehensive climate and energy legislation. We cannot afford to wait – the costs of inaction on climate change will severely impact our economy and our future. Investments in energy efficiency, and renewable industries like solar power and wind energy will create clean energy jobs, restore our economy, and secure America’s role as a global leader in the clean energy industry.
Please support American business by supporting clean energy jobs legislation.
Find out more about this exciting 1Sky/350.org merger and how you can stay involved with the climate movement at 350.org.
On This Section
Learn more about 1Sky and our solutions for a strong clean energy economy. Download supporting documents such as our 2009 Annual Report and the 1Sky Solutions platform:
- Download 1Sky's Year Two Annual Report (PDF)
- Campaign Overview: Two page brochure (PDF)
- High quality video downloads at the Citizen Global online studio
- 1Sky Pictures (Flickr)
- 1Sky logo (JPG, PNG, Greyscale). For proper use of the 1Sky logo, refer to our style guide (PDF).
To request additional materials, contact Communications Associate Molly Haigh, (301) 270-4550 ext. 230, firstname.lastname@example.org